Sleep Science in 2020
Today, probably more than ever, sleep and its impact on our wellbeing is being studied. Doctors and scientists have concluded that sleep affects brain function, emotional states, metabolism, blood pressure, and many other key aspects of our health. Sadly, because of common distractions, noise, stress, and others, it is not uncommon to have difficulties falling asleep and/or sleeping through the night. However, thanks to technology, there are some products out there that will help you feel well-rested when you wake up the next morning. Using technology to help you snooze better is not a 2020 trend. Sleep disorders, such as apnea and snoring, have been treated with technology that responds directly to the patient’s breathing in many medical offices. Yet, thanks to how quickly technology is advancing in 2020, sleeping aids can be accessed easily from the convenience of our homes.
Here are eight sleeping aids (divided between apps & gadgets) that you can purchase online and that might help you achieve a couple of extra minutes of blissful sleep:
Apps (available for both iOS and Android):
- SleepScore: SleepScore is one of the few apps that do not require you wear a tracker (such as an Apple Watch or a Fitbit) to bed or sleep with your phone on your mattress in order to track your sleep quality. This app uses your phone’s microphone and speakers to record your sleep movements, giving you the next day a sleep score and metrics to assess the quality of your sleep. It also comes with helpful tips for how to prepare for a better sleep, and a smart alarm clock.
- Calm: The popular meditation app has now added “Sleep Stories” to its features. Ever miss being tucked in and having a loved one read you a bedtime story? Well, this app comes with over 100 relaxing tales read by soothing voices to help you unwind as you snuggle in your bed.
- Headspace: This meditation app includes sleep packages that features 45 to 50-minute stories, description of stormy nights, sleep music, and wind down meditations that guide you through deep breathing to fall asleep. You can adjust the speaker’s voice to be softer or louder than the background noise, making it perfect to get the soothing quality to fit everyone’s needs.
- Noisli: If bedtime stories and white noise are not your jam, Noisli brings you the opportunity to create your own soundscape. All sounds are customizable and you can mix them fitting to the atmosphere you want to create. It also comes with a timer feature to allow combining your personalized soundscape with time management techniques to make sure you stay focused in your mission of falling asleep.
- Circle home: Do you get distracted scrolling through social media at night? Circle home monitors your phone (and other tech devices) usage and promotes digital wellness. This device will help you get back on track with your sleep schedule by setting programmed times in which it will automatically disconnect and reconnect to the internet.
- Dodow: If you spend hours staring at your ceiling thinking about your agenda for the next day or problems yet to be solved, you should invest in Dodow. This small machine is a wireless gadget that projects a gentle blue light. This light will contract and expand for eight minutes; and it will help you gradually slow down your breathing- calming down any mental chatter that might be preventing you from sleeping.
- Philips Hue White & Color Starter Kit: This lightbulb kit contains a variety of different colors and shades, including different shades of white. With this you can gradually dim down the lights as you go to sleep, helping you wind down. It also comes with a wake-up routine, mimicking the sunrise and avoiding you getting stressed by your alarm abruptly going off every morning. The best part? It can connect to your smartphone so you can control your lights directly from your bed!
- Fitbit Versa 2: All Fitbits now incorporate heart rate and blood oxygen measurements to estimate the state of your sleep. Thanks to this technology, the information taken while sleeping is amazingly accurate. Every day you can access a detailed graph that presents each of your sleep stages (awake, light sleep, deep sleep, and REM); and it allows you to set a sleep schedule. Plus, it comes with Alexa Voice Assistant, making it great to set morning alarms! And, if you get annoyed by loud alarms, you can customize your alarms to be a gentle vibration that gets delivered to your wrist.
Because of the consequences it can have on our health, there exists in the world a need and commitment to help with sleep disorders/problems. While technology has been and continues to be innovating apps and gadgets that focus on helping you doze-off easier and sleep better, there is nothing more essential for a good night’s rest than a comfortable mattress. Order a BedInABox mattress today, try it out for 120 days, and- if you’re not convinced- you can request a refund – risk free! Our mattresses, made 100% in the USA, are guaranteed to make sure you get your best sleep ever. Stop wasting time rolling over at night, and invest on better sleep today!