How to Move a Mattress
If you’ve ever moved before or purchased a mattress in a store, then you know how difficult transporting a mattress on your own can be. Mattresses are a hassle to move because they are typically heavy, awkward to hold upright, and can flop around when being moved from point A to point B. Fortunately, if you look on the internet, you can find many guidelines that will tell you how to move your new mattress efficiently and easily. Check out these 8 tips for moving your new mattress with ease:
- Find a buddy: Mattresses can weigh anywhere between 50 to 100 pounds, so finding someone to help you move your mattress can prevent potential injury.
- Choose means of transport: How are you going to transport your new mattress? Are you going to tie it up to the roof of your car? This method of transportation has its own problems because it can damage the mattress and in some states, might be illegal. For example, in recent proposed legislation in North Carolina, transporting a mattress on the roof of a vehicle on the interstate or highways would be illegal. Another risk of transporting a mattress on your roof is that driving at high speeds increases the weight of the mattresses because of the air pressure, making this method of transport dangerous for yourself and other drivers around you. Perhaps the safest option is to secure it inside a van or a truck. Whichever method you choose, make sure your means of transport is clean and prepared for the move.
Find or purchase any equipment needed to move a mattress:
- Mattress bag: protects your mattress from dust and other pollutants.
- Tape: strong packing tape to seal your mattress bag and protect it against moisture
- Hand truck/dolly: will help you move the mattress from your bedroom to your vehicle and from your vehicle to its new home.
- Ratchet strap or rope: the strap locks the mattress in place inside the moving van or in the truck bed. If you cannot find a ratchet strap, some nylon rope will help you secure your mattress.
- Other common tools: make sure you have the necessary screwdrivers, and wrenches to take apart the bedframe and put it back together at your next location.
- Once you’ve gathered these materials, put your mattress into the mattress bag. To help you do this, make sure your mattress is lying against a flat surface. Lift one end and have your buddy slide the mattress bag over it. Make sure you have pushed out all the air out of the bag before folding the flaps down and taping the bag shut. Make sure there aren’t any small rips or holes in the bag.
- Lift your mattress: And do this as safely as possible! To avoid potential injury, make sure not to lift with your back. Bend your knees, tighten your abdominal muscles, and lift with your legs.
- Move mattress to your vehicle: Place your mattress on the hand truck or dolly and make your path towards the vehicle. Carefully lift the mattress off the hand truck and load it into the vehicle.
- Secure the mattress: If your truck or van allows it, lay the mattress flat in the cargo area without stacking it on top of anything else. If you cannot lay it down, lean it on its side against the support wall. Use the ratchet strap or rope to secure it against the support rails or D-rings of your truck.
- Drive carefully: Make your way to the new destination carefully. Avoid highways, sudden braking, and high speeds. Stop every now and then to make sure the mattress remains secure and hasn’t shifted. Make sure your state allows transport of a mattress on the vehicle you have chosen. In some states, laws are being proposed that make it illegal to transport a mattress on top of a small vehicle.
If reading those 8 steps made transporting your mattress sound like a hassle, then we have an easy solution! Instead of transporting your old mattress, get a new one shipped to your door! Moving is stressful enough without having to worry about relocating your mattresses, so it might be worth giving these four steps a try:
- Visit our website bedinabox.com and browse our selection of mattresses.
- Talk to one of our Customer Specialists if you have any questions.
- Choose the best mattress for you.
- Let us take care of the rest!
Don’t worry about transporting your old, heavy mattress to a new bedroom. Our mattresses ship in 2 days or less on average, we deliver directly to your doorstep, and we ship our mattresses in easy-to-transport boxes. We even include a 120-night sleep trial with every BedInABox® mattress purchase because our goal is to guarantee top quality products and services, and to deliver better sleep in every box.